A Love Letter to My Boys



Dear Michael & Scott,

I have loved you since before you were born.  My love for you is boundless.  It feels like warm sunshine when you are happy.  It hurts deep in my heart when you are sad.  I wish I could give you everything and save you from every mistake, from every hurt and from broken hearts.  I want to keep you close and safe.  But, alas, I love you too much to be that safety net or that helicopter parent. 

I love you so much that I will not always catch you before you fall.  I will let you stumble and make your mistakes.  I will let you see the cause and effect of your actions so you become more careful in the future.  I will let you get hurt so you learn to deal with pain.  Life can be painful and it takes practice.

I love you so much that I will not buy you everything you desire.  You need to know what it is to want, to wait and to dream.  Some things need to be just past your reach so you can learn to set your own goals and know that you have the power to make things happen for yourself.  You can plan and earn and achieve.

I love you so much that I will not hover.  As you’ve gotten older, I’ve purposely let go and moved away more and more each year.  I am that mom who does not know when your assignments are due.  You need to be responsible for you.  When you are not, society will react and you will learn that meeting your responsibilities is easier than not.

I love you so much that I will force you to go to Religious School, services and temple events.  You need to know who you are and that there is a community in which you can always find like-minded people who will celebrate joys with you and reach out to you when you are sad.  You need to feel comfortable in a religious community because life is hard and sometimes all you will have is faith.

I love you so much that I will let go of my dreams for you and let you have your own.  You will not lead the life I pictured when you were born because fairy tales aren’t real.  You will, in so many ways, be more amazing than I could have imagined and I will step aside as you build the life that makes you happy.

I love you unconditionally and always will.  I pray that you feel that love even when we are miles apart.

Always yours,
Mom


  ________________________________________________________________________________

Read this blog for more articles.  Ask your parenting & education questions and learn about early childhood workshops for parents & educators on my website - www.helpingkidsachieve.com
                                                      
Copyright 2013 © Cindy Terebush
All Rights Reserved
Please do not sell, post, curate, publish, or distribute all or any part of this article without author's permission.   You are invited, however, to share a link to this post on your webpage, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and other social networking sites.

 edu_listed_dirA Community of Mothers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter To Parents From Early Childhood Educators - We Need Your Help

Do You Want Your Young Child to Write? Tips for Encouraging Literacy Skills

Are You Using Your Classroom Center Chart Effectively?