Honor Your Mother & Father: A Perspective from an Empty Nest

I have raised two children – now 23 and 18 years old – and am sitting in my empty nest considering if and how they honor us.  Honor is not the same as obey.  Your children will struggle for their power in the world and will push away.  They will partake in the natural process of preparing to leave you by being non-compliant.  That propensity to do the opposite of what you wish begins when they are infants and lasts…well…a long time.  That doesn’t mean they don’t honor you. 
                              
This weekend, my younger son and his friend visited my older son in his new apartment.  They spent last night and today together.  No one forced them together.  They chose to make time for each other.  Texts from them indicate that they enjoyed their time together.  They have honored us.  My husband and I don’t need to be included in their time together. In fact, when they seek each other, they honor what we have taught them about the value of family.

When they were young, they argued sometimes.  They argued with each other and with my husband and me.  They didn’t always do what we asked.  They did things that they had to know were not going to go over well.  They were typical.  They knew, however, that there were lines and boundaries for behavior and reactions.  When they crossed those boundaries, they knew they had gone too far. They went back to the “do the right thing” side of the line.  Sometimes, they didn’t agree with where that line existed but they stepped back anyway.

I miss the sound of them laughing together in a bedroom down the hall.  I can still see in my mind’s eye two little boys walking together on the sidewalk.  I can feel their hugs even when they are not here.  I feel their hugs in their texts, emails and calls.

They honor us by coming home for Passover this year.  They don’t have to agree with all of our religious beliefs and practices but they honor us with respectful participation in tradition as well as their fondness for larger family gathering.

My husband and I will not agree with all of their choices.  We will not understand everything about them.  Children never become our dreams for them.  They chase their own dreams.  Honoring us does not mean being who I wish they would become.  Both of my children are productive and ambitious members of society.  They boldly and bravely seek their paths.  That’s all we can ask.

There are people who talk about their children being a pain.  Well, sometimes parents with their emotional baggage are a pain, too.  There are people unable to have children or who have lost children who I know would trade with so many of us even on the worst day.  I honor my role as parent and am humbled by the opportunity I have been given to live past my lifetime through future generations. Maybe, just maybe, my boys sensed that I also honor them and so they learned it….

________________________________________________________________________
Coming soon - new site where early childhood professionals will be able to get continuing ed hours, participate in Q & A forums & ask the expert sessions and individual Skype/Facetime coaching. To keep updated about the site and the progress of my book, click here to join my mailing list. You get a FREE video link when you join the list!

Go to my full website for information about webinars, presentations and individual coaching for parents and educators -Helping Kids Achieve.

Copyright 2016 © Cindy Terebush
All Rights Reserved

Please do not sell, post, curate, publish, or distribute all or any part of this article without author's permission.   You are invited, however, to share a link to this post on your webpage, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and other social networking sites.

Comments

  1. This is a beautiful article and so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Feel free to share the link on your social media :)

      Delete
  2. I like the acknowledgement that "sometimes parents with their emotional baggage are a pain, too" - My mother made a speech at my rehearsal dinner (my marriage to my first husband) - in front of all of our families and bridal party, mind you, about how I was "the gift that keeps on taking". She tells my second husband that all of her children are "the gifts that keep on taking". My mom has a lot of that emotional baggage you speak of that makes her very passive aggressive and hurtful to her own (grown) children. I have a lifetime of memories of it. It is my goal to not do this to my own children. I have dreams for my daughter but I hope her own dreams for herself are even grander than what I imagine for her. But I will be nothing but loving and supportive along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It bothers me so much when people speak like that about their children. I don't think they understand the damage they are doing even when their children are adults. I'm glad you recognize how harmful it was so your daughter doesn't have to go through that.

      Delete
  3. Love this! I loved hearing your sons get together on their own. I have three children who are very close in age, I hope that they remain close and build their own relationships. You have done a wonderful job with your sons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really believe that children aren't a reflection of us until they become adults. Then we see what stuck...

      Delete
  4. So true, we want them to do well, but also to remember who helped them along the way:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post! I love that your boys get along so well. My older children are 23 and 19 they are both in college and are close. My little one is 6 years old and the only child at home. I feel so blessed that I was given another chance at parenthood but feel sad that he doesn't have a sibling close to his age to grow up with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter To Parents From Early Childhood Educators - We Need Your Help

Do You Want Your Young Child to Write? Tips for Encouraging Literacy Skills

Are You Using Your Classroom Center Chart Effectively?