More "Do Your Rules Make Sense?"



In April, I wrote an article entitled “Do Your Rules Make Sense?” (http://cindyterebush.blogspot.com/2012/04/do-your-rules-make-sense.html).   I challenged adults to think about the rules they impose on young children.  Telling people to let children mix the Play Doh and peel the crayons made sense to many while stating that the words “I’m sorry” are meaningless to children caused much internet controversy.  I was surprised at the number of people offended by the thought that the social convention of using those two words was actually meaningless to young children.  My blog gets an average of 9,000 page views per month and that article is ranked 3rd in number of all-time views.  Since posting that article, people have asked what other rules I would add to that list.  Here is my next (but I suspect not my last) list of rules that make little or no sense when imposed upon young children:

“You can’t climb up the slide.”  Actually, you can.  In fact, climbing up a sturdy slide helps to exercise leg muscles and build coordination.  Children are also forced to concentrate more as they need to be cautious about slipping.  I understand not interrupting the flow of traffic headed down the slide and I recommend children be spotted when attempting the uphill climb.  Perhaps this rule should really be “One way only on the slide.”  Either all the children go up or go down but to say they “cannot” – it isn’t true and eliminates a strengthening activity.

“You must share.”  Do adults share everything?  I, for one, don’t offer my friends use of my wallet, my tablet or my new car.  Those are my prized possessions.  I don’t sit with every book I read and offer to read it together.  Some things are just mine and sometimes I want to complete an activity alone.  Young children have the same needs and more.  They are more egocentric than adults and need to fully possess things before they can let someone else use it next.  Young children need quiet time to do things alone as much as adults need that time.  They also need to learn that not every item is theirs for the taking.  Adults can say, “She doesn’t feel like sharing that now.  Maybe you can use it later” or “He needs a little alone time.”  It helps teach others about reading verbal & non-verbal clues and respecting each other’s needs.  Sometimes we share.  Sometimes we do not.  That is real life.

 “You must be in a single file, straight line to travel from one place to another.”  One of the most unnatural things we ask preschoolers to do is to line up.  Lining up is so hard.  It means standing in one spot and not touching anything.  It is the opposite of every instinct that a young child possesses.  Young children need to be moving and using their senses.  Then, we tell them that they have to be in this line to move down the hall.  Actually, you can move down the hall in a group and move over for anyone trying to get by your happy little crowd.  It is quite possible that it will take a lot less time, anxiety and energy to occasionally just go down the hallway in a clump.
 
Think about the things you ask young children to do at home or at school.  From a child’s perspective and as part of the real world, do they make sense?


___________________________________________________________________________________

Read this blog for more articles, learn about early childhood workshops for parents and early childhood professionals (www.cindyterebush.blogspot.com)  
                                                      

Copyright 2013 © Cindy Terebush
All Rights Reserved
Please do not sell, post, curate, publish, or distribute all or any part of this article without author's permission.   You are invited, however, to share a link to this post on your webpage, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and other social networking sites.

 edu_listed_dir

Comments

  1. I actually totally agree with you. I get very annoyed with grown ups that make such rules.I wish more people realized the truth in what you say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do we start out rules with DO NOT’s? Keep them positive, thinking of them as 3 simple things:
    Be Kind -- Respect the rights others.
    Be Safe – Remember safety and health.
    Be Neat – Take care of the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such an interesting post. Playground time should be a time of creative and exploratory engagement. Yet, we adults seem to want to thwart that exploration of ability on every hand for safety reasons. The liability of a child going up the slide instead of the "safer" way of playing on the slide is easier to explain if an accident occurs. Teaching children to walk in a straight line while at school offsets the need to reign in the chaos of walking as an unorganized group during field trips. Every situation has a reason as to why we don't let children be children. There are so many rules. Rules that don't make sense for children or for teachers to follow. Rules that don't allow teachers to be the creative beings they are. I am so glad I found this. I'll be visiting often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I post about every 9 days or so. Please keep checking. You can also join my Facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/earlyeducation/ to get FB links to each of my new posts.

      Delete
    2. Criss-cross applesauce. That doesn't make sense to me as an adult. How can a child make sense of that?

      Delete
    3. It's a fun way to remind children how to sit. It's not supposed to make sense.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today is…. An Abstract Concept: Why Are You Teaching Calendar To Preschoolers?

An Open Letter To Parents From Early Childhood Educators - We Need Your Help

Tips for Handling Your Young Child’s Separation Anxiety